In 2007, Turkey elected its new President, Abdullah Gül. He is presented as “the first Muslim President of Turkey”, which meant all of the following, and all at the same time:
- The previous presidents were not Muslim.
- They were not Muslims because of the system of the country.
- This system will be taken down.
- The identity of Republic of Turkey will change.
- With the new president, Turkey will evolve.
- This evolution change will be towards Islamism.
- Turkey will not be what it has been so far.
In less than a year, after managing to hold both Presidential and PM offices, the party invented a term, New Turkey (Yeni Türkiye). According to them, in the old Turkey so many bad things happened because of the system and the bad people who were responsible of the system. But this New Turkey was different. It was not the continuation of the old one. It was revolutionary. …